Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Gotcha Day

Psalm 166:1-2

"I love the Lord, for He heard my voice; He heard my cry for mercy. Because He turned His ear to me, I will call on Him as long as I live".

 

Dear Friends,

It has taken some time to be able to put yesterday into words.  If I had to use just one word it would be indescribable.  As we prepared in the morning to go to Jack's orphanage, nothing could have prepared our hearts for what God had in store for us.  We got there around 9 am.  Just entering the building where my sweet baby lived for over three years was almost too much to take in.  And then, we were in the room with the orphanage director, medical director, and staff.  We were listening as several people, who were speaking a language I will never understand, were deciding the rest of our lives.  We gladly signed papers and gave our fingerprints in red ink, and then there he was.  He rounded the corner and said very clearly, "Mama, Baba!" and walked straight up to me with his arms raised.  I thought my heart was going to explode!  I got on my hands and knees and kissed my very tiny new son.  I was crying so hard, and people were talking loudly, and then he, Jack, was wiping my tears.  There are no words for that moment.  I laughed and cried and told him that I was ok, and the workers told him that I was crying because I was so happy and loved him.  We were then greeted by a long line of his friends, all smiling, as they walked up to me and said, "Xing Wang's mama, Xing Wang's mama!"  My heart was breaking over and over.  They were all so sweet, they all need homes!  One little girl never left my side, and kept holding my hand. Oh, how I could have brought her home with me!  I found out later that she is going home soon, to Spain.  But, there are so many others.  One in a wheelchair, and she never stopped smiling.  Two with Downs Syndrome, both would not leave Chris' side.  So many that we recognized from photos.  The little girl that Chris fell in love with went home in 2008, so that was wonderful news.  The director put a featherish boa on me, as a sign of good luck, and we were taking pictures with all the children and staff.  And then I saw one girl, whom I thought was much younger than she was, and she was crying and sobbing.  She was Jack's nanny in the orphanage, and she loves him dearly.  He was her favorite, and she took care of him since the day he arrived.  She made him a special photo colloge(? not sure of spelling) of photos of she and Jack, and wrote him a blessing.  When I heard the story, I went over and told her thank you over and over and hugged her very tightly and promised to take care of him.  I am so thankful for this kind, sweet girl who loved my boy for me for so long.  What an answer to prayer.  We were then told to change his clothes, and I did.  He had on 2T clothes and they are too big!!  He is soooooo small!!  He loved his new clothes.  He then told all his friends goodbye.  He hugged each of them and said "BYE!"That was so sad.  He sure did love his friends. We got in the van and went to do official paperwork for his adoption and passport photos, Visa and Immigration paperwork, notory stamps, and all of that.  We were exhausted!  We finally came back to our hotel.  As the driver left us, and it was just the three of us, Jack began to scream and cry in fear.  It broke our hearts to know that we were scary to him.  We knew it would happen, and needed it to happen, but it hurt none the less.  We got into our room and I began to give him all of the toys and treats I brought him and he smiled and grinned.  He is so sweet.  As I was talking to my brother, he began to scream and looked terrified, and I realized that he had wet in his clothes.  I think he was afraid he would be in trouble.  So I loved on him and sang to him, and made up an nice warm bubble bath and got his tub toys.  I let him play in the tub for a long time.  We then got out and I lotioned him up and he loved that!  He would hold his hand out for me to put some on his hand and then he would rub it on his legs.  He is so smart!!  Really he is, I'm not just saying this!  He has shown us time and again how smart he is.  So, he IS clever!  But we have not seen bad-tempered at all! 

We laid down around 9:30 and I put him in the middle of Chris and me and he closed his eyes and went right to sleep and slept for 9 straight hours.  He woke up dry.  I have kept pull-ups on him, though, as I don't want him to be scared like that again.  He has not had anymore accidents. He did have diarrhea today, so I gave him Pedialyte and no sweets.  He has not had it again.  I figure with the emotional trauma of yesterday and the M&M's we gave him, anyone would get diarrhea!

 Jack's mouth looks about like we thought it would, maybe a little more affected than we thought.  But we know that God already has that worked out, too, and have no worries about it.  He talks ALL THE TIME, and while we don't know what he's saying, he sure does!! Look out Amy McDonald, we have our work cut out for us!

We are resting now.  Chris and Jack are asleep.  Thank you all so much for the prayers and support.  We can feel it. God covered that day with more grace and mercy and favor than I could have ever hoped for.

All our love,

Chris, Leslie, and JACK DAVID XINGWANG FULLER!! 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, what a BEAUTIFUL meeting! I can barely see through the tears to type this! Leslie, the picture of Jack wiping your tears is just soooo precious! Love up that sweet boy (like I need to tell you guys that!) and enjoy the rest of your trip. Can't wait to see the three of you soon!
Much love, the Rudolphs

Melissa said...

GOD is soo good. I can't stop crying tears of joy for you all. I love that I get to be part of watching a family in the making. His handiwork is awsome. Enjoy every moment of this time with Jack, it goes by way to fast.

Anonymous said...

I am in tears! What a beautiful moment!!! I can not wait to meet him. Your moment reminded me of the momemt I met our Lily. Thank you for that! It was truly a Gift from God! I needed that! We love you and we are Praying for your little mans Heart and for a safe trip home! We miss you both !
Kim

Joel said...

Melissa just called me at work and told me you posted with pictures of Jack. What a great moment for your family. It is amazing how much love we can have for the children! As I read your blog and looked at the pictures my eyes started to tear up (and I am at work). It was only a short 15 months ago that Chris told me about the little boy your family was adopting. It was that story which made us decide to adopt as well and now we are blessed to have Iris home with us.

I wish you all the best for the remainder of your trip and can not wait to meet Jack in person.

God is good.

Joel

The Powell Family said...

Oh how amazing you guys! God is so wonderful! I am so happy that this meeting went just like this...perfectly! That he was prepared to meet you! :) He is the luckiest little boy! Congratulations Mom & Dad and to the entire Fuller family!! :)

Mary Ludwig said...

I love your post & I love your pictures! He is just so precious & I'm so happy for all of you! So glad to know that you are finally able to hold him in your arms. Praying for the rest of your trip & time with just Jack. Can't wait to see you all & meet him!
Love you!

Brian and Nicole said...

Leslie-
I am so happy for you! I remember Feb. 09 when you guys were first starting this journey. What a ride! God is so good and has now finished the journey to get him, so now your new journey begins! Congratulations!
Nicole Todd

Amy said...

Priceless...there are no words...praise God for His mercy, favor and grace...what a beautiful story when you put yourselves in Jack's shoes as being adopted into the family of God...wow! praying for a safe journey home!

Anonymous said...

Yay Jack! We are so glad to see you! I am thrilled for your family!My heart is full of joy to see you all together! I can't wait to hear more stories of Jack! I am ready to work with him! :-) I feel blessed to be able to work with you all along this journey.

Lovins!

Amy McD

Learning Together at Home said...

Congratulations from a fellow Yinchuan Mommy! We adopted our son in December 2007. What a treat to both see your pictures and hear your story! Makes me remember. Your son is wonderful!